Tuesday, 4 December 2012

'EFUTO' Mail Art Project


I have been working on a lovely Mail Art project with about 50 of my classmates from The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design.


The project was set up by the lovely Gill Eggleston aka. Pattern Addict. I am in LOVE with this opening image on her website and blog.

The project is called 'EFUTO' Drive, (e= picture, futo= envelope). The participants are spread out all over the world- the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, The Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, the USA, South America, Israel and Singapore- exciting stuff!

I fell in love with the whole idea immediately as decorating stationery wasn't a new concept for me- since I was 10 years old I have had many penpals all over the world and it has been an amazing way to learn about different cultures and make new friends. In fact, one of my oldest friends started off as a penpal!

We were each assigned one person to mail to and we receive from another person. I posted my envelope to the USA and will be receiving from Australia. We were to make two envelopes- one to be used in the mail art project and another which we would post to ourselves and use as our directory entry for an online directory resource that Gill is creating called 'The Little White Book of Surface Pattern Designers'.

When I made my second envelope, I decided to do something a bit different. I found this amazing transparent envelope with glitter particles. 

Here are some pictures I took in front of a light to try to capture the glitter, it is very sparkly and pretty! I tried to incorporate my design with the glitter, making them the centre of flowers....










You can see my business cards through the envelope!



Here is the envelope that I sent to Australia- image courtesy of Melinda Martin Sebastian :)



I really enjoyed this project and am looking forward to receiving the envelope from Australia!