Monday, 21 July 2014

Artist Feature: The Wonderful work of Daria Hlazatova


Daria Hlazatova creates surreal and beautiful dreamscapes peppered with inspiration from a combination of creative influences- medieval art, the Baroque, and Art Nouveau. The Ukraine based artist's love of fairy tales, theatre and music is evident in her work which combines breathtaking detail with otherworldly and theatrical elements.

1. How did your business come about (and when did you start)?

I started drawing at an early age. I don't have a business. All I do is draw from morn till dawn. My nature completely lacks any necessary qualities of a businessman. Business to me is associated with money. And art is an antidote to it... or to the lack of it. I just draw. 


2. Can you give a quick insight into your working method? (ideas, techniques, etc.)

I have millions of ideas all the time, brilliant, mediocre and bad ones. I usually write them down in a notebook (then, as a rule, I lose it). A lot of times I catch the wave of inspiration from something I saw or heard and I draw my impression of it. I don't have a method really. I use every opportunity, rarely plan and have as few rules and regulations as I can.
My drawing process at all times involves paper, drawing materials (I use different media, from collage to pencil and very rarely acrylics but I always stick to Faber Castell artist pens), a table, music or an audiobook and my temporary unavailability to the rest of the world.



3. What has been the hardest single obstacle to your life in design (apart from a shortage of time, which seems to be universal amongst creatives!)?

My obsessive compulsory drawing addiction, which is a curse and a blessing. 



4. How do you stay motivated? What inspires you?

I listen to Nick Cave on repeat in hope to become as cool as he is. But actually, there's no need to stay motivated if you have drawing addiction, like me. Many things inspire me, like the ocean, things I see in my sleep, exciting encounters, theatre, travelling, paradoxes, and secrets.


5. What has been the icing on the cake for you as a artist/designer?

I love creating album art, and taking part in Secret7s exhibitions for 3 consequtive years, where my sleeves were on display with some artists I admire, like Anthony Gormley - is definitely delectable icing. Of course, feedback is even better than the icing on the cake... it's a macaroon! And meeting other artists and like-minded people is definitely an eclair. 



6. Who do you admire (other artists/designers; other people generally) and what/who are your biggest influences, past or present?

My family, friends, Jacques Yves Cousteau.. Michael Palin.. David Lynch...Lewis Carroll and Tolkien. As to arts, I love the work of David Hockney, William Blake, Stanley Spencer, Stella Vine, Mary Jane Ansell, Stuart Pearson Wright... I work in PRISMA Artist Collective and admire every single artist in it.. It's hard to say who or what my influence is. Probably it is everything and everyone, even things and people I don't find interesting - these are certainly my motivation to rebel and overcome boredom. 



7. Describe your creative space

It's a light room with very few pictures and many lamps that need new bulbs. 

 
8. What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

I'll use a quote to impress everyone with my knowledge of the English literature:
"I give myself very good advice but very seldom follow it."


You can keep up to date with Daria's work here...

 facebook | website | blogtwitter 

(all above images are © Daria Hlazatova)

x